Monday 13 February 2017

Memories of Happy Times


I was talking with a friend a few days ago about the time when we were happiest. Not special times, like the day we were married or when our children were born but a time when we can remember being consistently happy, no worries, hardly any sadness, just to be able to wake each morning and know that the day would be good.

I narrowed mine down to being in junior school. She told me that is probably why I still go in there to help despite not having children there. Maybe she is right.

The class I remember most was my first year junior class with Mrs Brown. We had windows filling two walls and the sun seemed to make the room glow with happiness,

Mrs Brown was a truly inspirational teacher. She was firm but fair, as all good teachers are. She reinforced my love of reading and instilled a love of nature.

I can remember the excitement of the last lesson of the afternoon when she would read to us. It obviously had an impact on me because I can still remember many of the books today - Charlotte's Web, Her Benny, The Hundred and One Dalmations. We hung on every word and longed for story time the next day to hear what would happen to those beloved characters,

One term we grew broad beans under varying conditions and I was mortified that mine weren't allowed light because I knew that they wouldn't grow healthily. Mrs Brown told me that scientific studies must be done so that everyone understood.

Mrs Brown would take us to the park and teach us to identify trees by their leaves and seeds and to recognise plants by sight, Do children do nature study in any depth now? I can recall feeling so proud of myself for knowing these things and asking my Mum for the Ladybird Book of Trees so that I could identify more. We still have a copy of that book now, but we have fewer elm trees to identify than when I was a child.

The more I think about it I can trace many of my enthusiasms back to Mrs Brown's class. Her and my secondary English teacher have been the biggest influences on my life, other than my parents.

We always had a quiet time in the afternoon when we were told to place our heads in our arms on the desk, and just allow our brains to relax in total quietness. We were always told how well we had worked and that now it was time to rest our brains. This was just before playtime every afternoon. Children need more time for meditation now. Relaxation doesn't seem to be part of the modern curriculum.

One memory that is still strong is of sitting in her classroom on a winter's afternoon, the room was quite gloomy and the rain was pouring down. We could hear it like music on the roof and windows. I still remember how safe, calm and happy I felt. I love listening to the rain falling even now. It's reassuring.

My mother was always outside to collect me. I remember how on rainy days she would hold my hand and we would run home splashing in puddles and laughing. Once home she would snuggle me in a warm towel to dry off, then toast teacakes on our open fire to 'tide me over' until everyone else was home for tea. Every enthusiasm I brought home from school my mother encouraged by talking, visits and buying me books to further my knowledge. I was truly blessed.

Most of all my memories of being eight are of feeling safe, loved, happy and inspired. I really hope today's children can say the same. Happy memories are a wonderful thing to hold on to and they can strengthen and help you through the darkest times of adulthood.

No comments:

Post a Comment