Sunday 19 June 2016

Dad



Today on Father's Day we celebrate our fathers, give them gifts and pamper them. Those of us who have lost our fathers remember them and are very grateful for our time with them. I lost my Dad when I was just ten years old. I had him for a very short time. In some ways this is very sad but in others it has its benefits. Often, when I hear people praising my lovely Mum there is a mention of a fault of my Dad. It is not done unkindly just showing how good my Mum was, and she really was. This is where the benefit side comes in for me. Children see the world as beautiful, for it is, and, unless it is really horrible, they see past faults and ignore many. I have no recollection of my Dad's faults. My memories of Dad are all positive. I remember the love he showed me. I remember how he taught me to accept everyone, regardless of race or creed. I remember how he taught me to stand up whenever I saw or heard prejudice and injustice. I remember how much he made me and people around him smile and I remember how much he was loved - at his funeral there wasn't room inside for all who attended, there was a crowd outside who wanted to pay their respects too. That was because, despite his faults, he was a good man who cared about all mankind and in return they cared for him. I try to be the person he expected me to be. I get it wrong sometimes because I too have my faults, but each time I get it wrong I try harder because my Dad was right, this world works better when you love your fellow man and work together in a positive way.


No comments:

Post a Comment