Thursday 30 August 2018

The year is growing old and I feel a little sad, but this year I have Hygge


This morning I was wakened by the sound of lots of geese flying over our house, a sure sign that autumn has arrived. I have known it was coming for weeks. I have felt it in the air, I have been able to smell it and I have seen it in the subtle changes in the leaves.

When I was young this was my favourite season. I loved the colours, I loved the feel of it as the cold air wrapped its arms around you and hugged you, I loved the smell of bonfires, but as I have grown older I find I like it less. Spring is my new favourite season, filled with promise and new life. To me autumn now makes the year feel like a friend in the twilight of their years who you know is approaching the end (Winter and another year gone). I think the problem is that I suffer with S.A.D. and as I have become older I have begun to associate Autumn with the approach of feeling bad.

This year I am even more determined to do battle with this condition. I always start to feel a little down as September approaches. I think that stems from when I was a teenager and the approach heralded the end of the wonderful summer holidays and the return to school. Now when the children go back to school I always get the urge to buy stationery and sweaters. This retail therapy cheers me for a while but then comes October with the dark nights and frequently gloomy days and I'm sad all over again.

This year I have decided to do battle with my S.A.D. and I am starting early. Today I got out my S.A.D. lamp. It's only August but it's gloomy and with a cold I can't quite beat I'm already a little out of sorts. I am also making plans to make this Autumn and winter a much happier time than usual. I may not beat it totally but I may make some difference. I have been researching Hygge - Danish secrets to happy living and am about to adopt Hygge myself.

So, what are my plans?

1   Fairy lights and candles around the house to give it a magical feel
2   Delighting in walks - I used to love walking the dog, there's no reason I can't walk on my own
3   Steaming mugs of tea, hot chocolate, chai lattes and a good book
4   Crunching dried leaves
5   Baking parkin, apple crumbles, cinnamon crunches
6   Knitting - I knitted through last winter and it helped
7   Warm bubble baths
8   Snuggly rugs for watching TV under
9   Baking bread
10 Reading a favourite book from childhood
11 Gathering leaves and twigs to make a nature collage
12 Cosying up with a favourite childhood film
13 Dressing the bed with new, brushed cotton linen
14 Getting comfy by the window and watching the birds outside
15 Taking an evening away from the TV and playing board games
16 Trying out a farmshop for breakfast or lunch
17 Wearing a warm jumper and leggings & treating myself to 20 minutes meditation
18 Lighting a scented candle
19 Doing some colouring in
20 Inviting family round for a roast dinner
21 Starting a gratitude journal in a beautiful, new notebook
22 Snuggling up in woolies - socks, jumpers, hats, scarfs

As you can see I have plenty planned. I shall let you know how it goes. I'm really hoping that Hygge, vitamin D and my S.A.D lamp will get me through this winter mostly smiling. So if you see me wandering about in the park picking up twigs or you come visit and the house looks like Christmas came early be indulgent and remember Hygge.



No comments:

Post a Comment