Thursday 28 July 2022

There is a Beautiful World Out There


 

Today I heard the sad news that Bernard Cribbins had died. He was a wonderful actor and above all, from all I've read and heard about him, a kind and wonderful man. I remember watching him in Doctor Who when I was small and again when I was grown. I loved him reading the stories on Jackanory and as Mr Perks in The Railway Children. His comic songs kept us happy on many car journeys on Junior Choice. Whenever I read an article or saw a post about him it was always positive and filled with admiration for his thoughtfulness. The world is a little sadder for his passing. 

I started thinking about him and then it made me think of other people who have passed who were lovely and kind. There are so many of them. I think that so many times we see news articles and social media posts that focus on the negative and we forget that the world is full of good people carrying out daily acts of kindness. The media encourages us to focus on the negative. I remember when my daughter was suffering with anxiety and there was a shooting at the Charlie Hebdo newspaper offices in Paris. It made her feel unsafe and that there were people ready to commit atrocities around every corner. I pointed out to her while watching the news that the perpetrators were just two men and that she needed to look at the hundreds of people queuing around the corner and down the road to donate blood to help. Two people filled with hate carried out the act but hundreds filled with love tried to help. 

You always find people trying to help wherever you go because the world is filled with good, kind people. Last week there was a burst pipe in our area and our water supply failed. People rallied round to support those who needed help. If someone didn't have a car to go to the bottled water stations, others went for them. People on social media who were still connected were offering to fill bottles for anyone who needed it.

Last month a friend had to go with her husband to hospital. He was discharged in the middle of the night and there was a four hour wait for an ambulance to take him back to care. Another patient's relative had a vehicle that would take his wheelchair and they drove them both back. I see these stories all the time and yet I hear people saying that the world is not what it was and nobody looks after each other any more. This is not what I have found. We have wonderful neighbours and a lovely supportive community. I am sure we are not alone in this.

I am quite a scatty person and have left bags, cameras and all sorts behind in cafes. Every time when I have realised and gone back someone has handed them in and I have left with my possessions intact. Every time. My Mum always said that 99% of the world were good people, that you had to be careful of the 1% but also remember what a small number of people they are. 

I am heartbroken that we live in an age where more and more foodbanks are needed because of the greed of the wealthiest but I am also proud that I live in a country where people care enough to look after others. And we do, we live in a land filled with amazing people full of love.

If you are having a bad day I want you to remember that. Someone out there needs your love and your care. The world is a better place for your being in it and if you can help someone else - even if it is just with a smile or a kind word then you have made the world a better place. One small act of kindness resonates and often encourages another. 

Don't let those who would convince you the world is a horrible place win. Yes, sometimes bad things happen, but there is so much good out there and we need to focus on that and help it to spread. I assure you that there is a beautiful world out there.




No comments:

Post a Comment