Thursday 28 March 2024

How Goes the Reprogramming?




Goodness we are at the end of March already (a few days early I know but we have so many visitors coming this weekend that the blog will have to be a little premature this month), spring has sprung - look at the tulips and daffodils, not the rain hitting the window! All is well with the world.

You may remember that at the start of the year I decided that I would attempt to destress myself and try to live one day at a time and not always be worrying about tomorrow. So, how is that going? On the whole pretty well. Some outing plans have gone awry but we just re-planned the day and had fun anyway. We've had visits from and to family and friends and they have always brought a smile to my face.

So is it all tickety-boo, and have I become worry free? Of course not, I'm still human after all. In the middle of the month a relative was rushed to hospital and remained seriously ill for a while. No worry Janet stopped even attempting to be no worry. Once I got over the initial shock I did tell myself that there was nothing I could do apart from be here. Illness really is something you have to take one day at a time. Of course I didn't stay that calm about it and the stress did start to build up and, despite pottering about as usual, I started to get rather angsty about many things, a lot of them things that I didn't need to be angsty about. Just as I was starting to get really stressed, thanks to our wonderful NHS, the relative turned a corner and began to pick up and continues to improve, I'm pleased to say.

To help reset my head my wonderful husband took me on a day trip to my most magical of places - Haworth, home of my beloved Bronte sisters. We had a super day, the Parsonage displays were as good as always and we even got to wear hats!


Of course from the Parsonage we carried on to Heptonstall to visit Sylvia Plath's grave and the ruins of the old church of St Thomas a Becket which I can just wander round for ages. Two places that for some reason always make me feel peaceful and contemplative.



So, a little better news and a visit to two of my favourite places and my head was resetting. It was time to get back on track and look for the best part of each day, and there are so many good parts of each day. I have a lovely family, wonderful friends, a roof over my head, food to eat and a pretty little garden and that is just to start.

Soon we move into April, such a pretty month and my head reprogramming continues. I shall keep taking one day at a time and see what comes. So what is happening in April that I can possibly dip into when the days come round?

1st April - Easter Monday and a chance to relax with family and enjoy the Bank Holiday - guess who'll be reading?
As it's also April Fools Day it might be a good day to research some famous fools.

9th April - Eid al-Fitr - the Islamic celebration of the end of Ramadan - a good day to bake and give it to neighbours.

10th April - Tonight there is a brief close approach of the Moon and Jupiter, starting in the West at about 20:30 so a good time to do a little sky gazing.

14th April - St Tiburtius' Day - this is the day when cuckoos traditionally start singing so will be a super day for a nature walk.

22nd April - Passover begins - maybe time for me to learn a little more about this celebration. It's a long time since, at college, we went to a Passover meal as part of our studies.

23rd April - St George's Day - time for me to learn a little more about St George and why he became our patron saint. Maybe a god day to bake a nice cake too.

23rd April is also the start of the Asparagus season so this is a good time to find some new asparagus recipes.

As the days get lighter this month is also a good time to take some pleasant walks, visit family and friends more and spend a little more time in the garden. But let's not plan too much - I'll decide on the day!

Now all that is left for me to do is wish a Very Happy Easter to those who celebrate xxx




No comments:

Post a Comment