Friday 20 April 2018

Book Review - Little Women

                                                    LITTLE WOMEN
                                                 By Louisa May Alcott


This was a delightful book from start to finish. The fact that I thought so and commented on what a happy book it was surprised my daughter who had other memories of reading it and there being some moments where she expected me to cry. I began to wonder if we had read two different books - I did some research and found that we had and we hadn't. The version that I read was a copy of the original book, first published in 1868 which was intended to be a Happy Ever after stand alone novel. As the book did so well Alcott's publisher pestered her for a sequel - in 1869 that sequel, called Good Wives, was published. Over here the two books continued as separate editions whilst in America they were combined under the one title of Little Women. My daughter read the combined version, hence our different experiences.

Little Women is set during the American Civil War and focuses on the lives of the March sisters. Their father is away serving as a pastor in the war and they and their mother struggle a little to make ends meet. They do, however, have plenty of love and positive attitudes and their adventures are a joy to read. The lives of the girls are explored through a series of events and celebrations and are compared with the lonely Laurie who lives next door with his wealthy grandfather and how a friendship is built between the two families.

The characters are a delight - shy Beth, tomboy Jo, beautiful Meg and little Amy all grow and learn in this story. Even when they go wrong they are brought back, forgiven and learn from their experiences. As I said before I found it to be a delightful book filled with happiness and fun. Now I am undecided about reading Good Wives. I loved this one but apparently the sequel will make me cry and a little frustrated.

So should you read it?
9/10 - an absolute joy (but if you read the combined version instead, don't blame me if it isn't as happy as you expected)


No comments:

Post a Comment