Thursday 12 April 2018

The Scottish Play



Last night I went to see a live screening of Macbeth from the RSC. I had been looking forward to it for weeks. It is one of my favourite plays, it had two super actors in the lead roles. I just couldn't wait.

When the production actually came I was sadly disappointed. I have read social media reviews and many people were, some leaving the screening in the interval - but some absolutely loved it, which made me think why there would be such differing views. For me Christopher Eccleston played angry Christopher Eccleston - but does that just mean that I know the actor too well and cannot disassociate him from other roles? He was angry throughout and I could feel no sympathy whatsoever for the character. This I found hard because a small part of me always feels a little sorry for Macbeth and the path he took. Niamh Cusack for me was far too emotional and overblown throughout. The madness scene was very good but, in my opinion, she played the emotion too strong from the beginning. For me Lady Macbeth is one of the strongest characters who eventually descends into madness when that strength fails her. I didn't see the strength in this play. One of the main parts of Macbeth for me is the love shared between the two main characters - this did not come across in this production. The devastation felt by Macbeth at his wife's death wasn't there, there was still just a lot of anger. I also struggled with the witches being played by small children with dolls. I didn't feel any of the malevolence I usually associate with the characters. I did love the Porter's role. He was hilarious. MacDuff and Banquo were finely played. The countdown clock that only made sense to me at the end was an inspired idea.

So what was so wrong for me, when obviously there are people who have enjoyed it? I have thought about that all morning. I have come to the conclusion that is is because I know the play too well. I studied it for O level and then I studied it again for A level, that was when I went down to Stratford to see it for the first time - a wonderful production, but then it was my first one. I have seen it many times since then. My favourite being Kenneth Branagh in the Manchester production a few years ago. For my daughter it is the David Morrissey version at the Liverpool Everyman, which I think was her first Macbeth. This is where my problem lies - I have read, studied and seen it so many times that my view of the play and the characters is entrenched. I go to productions with preconceptions and that was my problem last night. I knew what I expected and that wasn't it. Every director wants to put their own stamp on a play and different interpretations are good. We cannot endlessly repeat the same performances.

Last night's play was not for me. I felt the same with the last Midsummer Night's Dream I saw though. Maybe it's time I stopped going to see my favourite plays and started going to plays I know less well. I absolutely loved the NT Othello - that was a play I have only read once. Perhaps that is the answer - new plays which I can approach without preconceptions.

No comments:

Post a Comment