Saturday 11 May 2019

We don't always like the same books and that is just fine



Reading, I have always found to be a very personal thing. We each have our favourite authors and genres. Some of us stick to those and rarely branch outside their comfort zones, others read a whole variety of books and styles, some prefer novels, some non fiction books, others choose graphic novels. All are fine.I remember reading somewhere that if you don't like to read then you just haven't found the right book. I have to agree. Books are not a one size fits all.

People who do not like tomato sauce and wouldn't eat lasagne or bolognese would never dream of telling you to do the same and yet people will tell you never to read a book because they hated it. There are not many books that I do not finish but there have been a few - most recently Truman Capote's In Cold Blood. I had been looking forward to it for so long because I had read so many wonderful reviews of it and it was recommended by many people who's opinions I trust. Sadly I just could not get along with the story at all and eventually gave up. This doesn't mean that it was a poor book or that it was badly written, neither are true. It just was not for me and that is fine. I know how much it is valued but life is too short to struggle along with something you are not enjoying.

After discarding the Capote I started an Elizabeth Gaskill which I absolutely loved - but of course I would as I adore Victorian Literature. I am sure that some of you would never choose a piece from that period because it is not your genre of choice. I would think you are missing out but, as I have said before, it is each to his own. I struggle with a lot of Science Fiction novels and really would not choose one specifically had it not been recommended by a friend. Again, this is no reflection on the work, it is just my personal preference. Through recommendations I have branched out to H G Wells, John Wyndham and one Philip K Dick and loved them all so maybe there is hope for me as a Science Fiction reader after all.

When I read a book I enjoy I will say how much I loved it and recommend it, I cannot guarantee that those who choose to read it after me will do so too, and I am sorry if you do not, but I like to share my enthusiasms. If I really do not enjoy a book I will either not comment at all or simply say that I struggled a little or that it was not for me. I try not to give negative reviews because 1 know that we are all different and I would not like to put someone off a book they may enjoy just because I did not. I also am fully aware that I have never written a book and do not have the skill or time to do so and wouldn't give a damning review to someone who has. I will always call out prejudice but other than that I will just not recommend.

The only other thing I will say about reading is not to be put off what you enjoy because someone else does not think that it is good enough. What you enjoy is what you enjoy and that is always good enough. If you like reading books for younger readers that is fine, if you prefer comic books that is also fine. I struggle with deep philosophy books and ancient literature but I have a friend who adores them.

So the message in today's blog is to find what you enjoy reading, read it and don't let anyone put you off. If you want to branch out sometimes do so but do it because you want to, not because you have been forced to. Reading is a gift to enjoy and I do hope that you enjoy it.





No comments:

Post a Comment